- Some old fashioned weather lore that has more than a grain of truth in it.
- Find out more about these sayings in Wise Words and Country Ways: Weather Lore.
- Sound travelling far and wide a stormy day will betide.
- When sheep turn their backs to the wind it is a sign of rain.
- Mackerel sky â€“ never long wet, never long dry.
- If the ladybird hibernates the winter will be harsh.
- A winter fog will freeze a dog.
- The frost hurts no weeds.
- If the snowflakes increase in size, a thaw will follow.